Palace of the Grand Master or Knights’ Castle

Μετάφραση Greek Version

Palace of the Grand Master or Knights’ Castle

The Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of St. John is a palace in the town of Rhodes. The site was previously a Byzantine citadel that served as headquarters and fortress. It is the most important monument from the period of the Ioannite knights.


The palace was built in the 14th century by the Knights of Rhodes, who occupied the island from 1309 to 1522. It is built on a site where a Byzantine fort from the 7th century, used to be. After the island was captured by the Ottoman Empire, the palace was served as a fortress.

The original palace was largely destroyed by an ammunition explosion in 1856. When the Kingdom of Italy occupied Rhodes in 1912, the Italians rebuilt the palace in a grandiose pseudo-medieval style and turned into a holiday residence for Victor Emmanuel III of Italy, and later for Benito Mussolini, whose name can still be seen on a large plaque near the entrance.

On 10 February 1947, the Treaty of Peace with Italy, one of the Paris Peace Treaties, determined that the recently-established Italian Republic would transfer the Dodecanese islands to the Kingdom of Greece. In 1948, Rhodes and the rest of the Dodecanese were transferred as previously agreed. The Greeks turned the palace to a museum.


Source: Kastrologos