Astros Lighthouse

Photo: © allovergreece.com

Μετάφραση Greek Version

Astros Lighthouse 4110

The lighthouse is located on a promontory on the east side of the harbor of Paralio Astros, a port on the west side of the Argolic Gulf. The historic lighthouse was established in 1893 and went out of operation in 1990. It belongs to the Lighthouse Service of the Hellenic Navy and is now one of the town’s main attractions and a great spot to get some nice views of the ocean and the coast. The structure features a 7-meter (23 ft) square cylindrical rubblestone tower with lantern and gallery, attached to the seaward side of a small square 1-story keeper's house. Until 1953, the lighthouse was supervised by a lighthouse keeper, with Konstantinos Koutsogiannis being the last keeper. It was first lit with kerosene as source of light and the white flash had a range of 3 nautical miles. Due to its architectural value, it has been listed as a monument by the Ministry of Culture, since 2013. It is an interesting structure very close to the port, worthwhile to visit. Just a few meters away, there is an open-air theater where various cultural festivals are held during the summer, a scenic chapel dedicated to Prophet Ilias, and a small park with a few benches where you can relax and enjoy the magnificent view.