Μετάφραση

Proti

Proti is an island in the Ionian Sea, 2 nautical miles or 3.702 m across Marathopoli on the west coast of the Peloponnese. The name of the island derives from the ancient sea god Proteus, son of Poseidon. The island was mentioned by ancient writers. The first reference of the island was in the history of Thukydides who refers that in 426 B.C. the Athenian fleet sailed around this island. Proti has archaeological interest, since on the island, there is a Mycenaean acropolis. 
 
According to local traditions, in the past it was the shelter for sailors and pirates who used to hid their treasures there. In the place "Grammeno" there are around 30 engraved inscriptions used to serve as signposts and dating back to the Post Classical, Roman and Byzantine era. These signposts have wishes of various sailors who were there in order to survive from storms and asked the gods to offer them safety during their voyages. Many were the times when Proti has served as a natural breakwater, protecting ships from the force of waves in the Ionian Sea, such as the battleship “Spetses” anchored on Proti Island back in 1899 to find shelter from a heavy storm.
 
The islet has a uniquely beautiful beach, called the beach of Vourlia, which is located in a quiet cove with crystal clear turquoise waters. At the entrance to the bay there is the wreck of the 40-meter-long ship Anwar, which was bombed during World War II. Some parts of the ship are very close to the surface and for this reason, special care is required when approaching the beach by boat.
 
North of Vourlia, there is the monastery of Gorgopege Assumption, dedicated to the “Virgin Mary Gorgopigi”. It took its name from the homonymous icon of 1832 that was found on the rocks of the island in 1984 at the point where there is a small church now. The monastery celebrates on August 23 and September 24 with a large number of visitors coming to honor the day the icon was found. During the days of the celebration, the Monastery offers visitors a meal with fish. It has a small hostel, to hosts pilgrims, but also those who remain on the island due to bad weather.
 
On the island there are half-ruined hermitages which testify that this place served as a place of contemplation and isolation for people who wanted to be alone away from worldly life. There are boat excursions to the island from the port of Marathopolis.