The monastery of Virgin Prousiotissa is built on a steep cliff, in a landscape that enchants the visitor. Following the road of the valley of Potamia, we reach the courtyards of the Monastery, where the Virgin Mary wanted to build her house.
The name of the monastery is due to the miraculous icon of "Panagia Prousiotissa". This image originates from Prussia in Asia Minor. It is supposed to be work of the Evangelist Luke. At the time of the monastery's founding, the Byzantine Emperor was Theophilos, who was an iconoclast. The icon of the Virgin Mary was in a temple in Prussia, but for fear of being destroyed by order of the emperor, she fled to Greece.
Tradition connects the shelter of the icon, the current location of the Monastery, with miracles that happened during the transfer of the icon there. According to tradition, the young man who transported her, along with a servant, decided to establish a monastery at this point, as they found it impossible to move the image from there. They themselves became the first monks, with the names Dionysios and Timotheos.
During the revolution of 1821, there was a large monastic fraternity, which also operated a school. At that time the monastery was a refuge for many fighters. In fact, General Karaiskakis donated the silver cover of the icon as a token of gratitude for the high fever that afflicted him and from which he was healed during his stay at the Monastery. The sacristy of the Monastery now has the weapons of Karaiskakis.
Outside the monastery there are two castles on the left and right, the "towers of Karaiskakis". There is also a small church of All Saints, built in 1754. Finally, the building that housed the "School of Greek Letters" that operated in the Monastery during the Turkish occupation is also preserved.