The monastery was built in 1572 in Serifos in honor of an icon of the Brigadiers who had fled Cyprus in 1570, when it was occupied by the Turks. The icon was considered miraculous, made the small church known in the Cyclades and the rest of Greece and brought it significant wealth from the tributes sent by the faithful.
For fear of pirate raids, the monastery was built like a small castle, having a fortified character, with a very high precinct and only a small entrance at a height of 4 meters, accessible via a staircase. After its foundation, the Monastery gained a great reputation and consequently wealth. The Archangels Michael and Gabriel, to whom the Monastery is dedicated, were the patrons of Serifos.
The monastery has important relics, while its temple, which is single-aisled with a dome, is of great architectural interest, while its iconostasis and decoration impress anyone who visits it. In the center of the temple on the floor you will see a marble slab with a double-headed eagle. The frescoes of the temple are attributed to the Cretan hagiographer and priest Emmanuel Skordilis, who lived for several years in Milos and has created with his students important works in all the western Cyclades.
The temple is surrounded by various areas of the Monastery, spread over two levels, such as the abbey, the mutual school, the library, the kitchen, the laundry, the monks' cells and the hand mills.