Monastery of Panormitis
The monastery of Panormitis is situated in the name saken bay. On its celebration (8th of November and Pentecost) people visit the monastery from all over the country. Food, wine and free residence are offered to the pilgrams.
Some believe that an ancient temple existed, but this cannot be proven from archaelogical findings or ancient sources.
But, the existence of the Panormitis monastery in the 15th century is proven by a manuscript of 1460. In the folk legends, the foundation of the Panormitis monastery is tied in with the devotion of the Symiot people.
The monastery has two museums. One of ecclesiastical art, rich in exhibits like pontificals, silver icons, Russian epitaphs and ecclesiastical utensils, ship models offerings brought to Panormitis from far away by the sea and one of folk art with important objects of the folk culture of the island, relevant to fishing, agriculture and shepherding.
There is also a library with Byzantine manuscripts and editions of ecclesiastical, historical and philological content, as well as a gallery with paintings of the landscape of the monastery and his two chapels.