Wreck «Mediterranean Sky»
The Mediterranean Sky passenger ship was one of the two ships of the "Karageorgis Lines" that enjoyed great glory in the 70s and 80s in the Mediterranean seas, joining Greece with Italy. The ferry departed from Patras and ended at the port of the Italian city of Ancona. The Mediterranean Sky was built in 1953 in England by the British company Vickers-Armstrongs. In the early 1970s it was bought by Aristomene Karagorgis' company "Karageorgis Lines", which converted the ship into a passenger and renamed it Mediterranean Sky, meaning "Sky of the Mediterranean". The ship had many amenities for the time. Luxury cabins, two swimming pools, stylish bars, even wood decks, and air conditioning. It had a capacity of about 1,000 passengers and 470 vehicles. Its length was 165 meters and its width 22 meters.
His last trip was from Patras to Brindisi in August 1996. Due to the major financial problems encountered by the shipowner, from summer 1996 to February 1999, the ship remained decommissioned at the (old) port of Patras, in Molos. of St. Nicholas. The ship at the expense of the Patras Port Authority was transferred to Elefsina, where it remained abandoned and bound by the company's debts. Slowly the Mediterranean Sky began to tilt, until it finally hit. Although it was decided in 2009 to remove the ship along with 17 other shipwrecks in the Gulf of Elefsina, this was not done.