The lighthouse was built in 1860 with oil as a source of energy, with a white flash per 30s and a light range of 21n.m. During the Second World War, the lighthouse remained off. In the context of the reorganization of the Lighthouse Network, it re-opened in 1945 with oil as a source of energy. In 1989 the oil machines were replaced, the lighthouse was electrified and operated as a supervised electric with two white flashes per 15s and a light range of 21nm.
The tower is circular of 12m height with a house of lightsmen.
It is located at the south-eastern tip of the island of Lesbos, on the island of Megalonisi, at a focal height of 53m and access to the lighthouse is made by boat from the port of Sigri.