Perivolakia or Pervolakia is a village and community of the Municipality of Sitia, in eastern Crete. The village consists of two settlements, Epano and Kato Perivolakia. Near Kato Perivolakia is the small village of Pezoulas. Pano Perivolakia is now uninhabited after the establishment of the new settlement, but it has kept its traditional image intact, while Kato Perivolakia, according to the 2011 census, had 21 inhabitants.
They are built at an altitude of 340 meters at a distance of 37 kilometers from Sitia. From the village begins the gorge of Pervolakia or gorge Kapsa. The gorge is about 4.5 km long and is characterized by its steep walls with a lack of vegetation. The gorge ends at the beach near the Kapsa Monastery. It has joined the Natura 2000 network and is of great interest.
In the cave of Vournoferto, on the terms Kapparoukefala, Paul For discovered designed hunting scenes. The designs depict a goddess with dogs, surrounded by wild animals that have either been trapped in nets or hit by spears and arrows. Paul For dated them to the pre-Minoan era.
Perivolakia is not mentioned in the Venetian censuses. The earliest mention of them is in the 1881 census, when they belonged to the municipality of Chandra and had a purely Christian population, 142 inhabitants. In the census of 1900 they belonged to the municipality of Presos and had 179 inhabitants. The 1920 census set the seat of a homonymous rural municipality.
In 1925 Perivolakia was annexed to the community of Lithina, but in 1930 the seat of the homonymous community was defined, which belonged to the province of Sitia. Epano Perivolakia was recognized as an independent settlement in 1940. The community was maintained until the Kapodistrias program, when it was annexed to the municipality of Makri Gialos. With the Kallikratis program in 2010, they were annexed to the municipality of Ierapetra, but the following year they were detached from the municipality and annexed to the municipality of Sitia.