Circular Route: Chrysoleontissa - Pachia Rachi - Chrysoleontissa
From Pachia Rachi we head east 800 m to the asphalt road. The uphill path starts at the cemetery and leads to the monastery of Panagia Chrysoleonissa, on a plateau in the center of Aegina. According to local tradition, the monastery was originally built on a seaside site and was vulnerable to pirates' raids. In the early 17th century it was moved to a protected area so it was not visible from the sea. The fortified monastic complex includes a tower with curtains (1601) and in the center of the inner courtyard there is the later built church (1808).
Initially, the path is uphill with moderate difficulty and offers stunning views of the west side of the island and the Saronic Gulf. Once you reach the hill the route becomes flat and easy. Turn right to the east where the plateau of Agios Leontios is located, surrounded by hills. It has a circular shape with a diameter of about three hundred meters and at an altitude of 370. There, there are many fragments of ceramics and old kiln.
On the eastern side of the plateau there is the chapel of Agios Leontios built in the 17th century on ancient ruins. Saint was born in Aegina in the 1st century. The area is called Bourdechtis because before the chapel there is a local aqueduct consisting of a system of underground chambers, galleries and three wells, carved in the natural terrain, at a maximum depth of about 6 meters from the surface.
In Burdechtis we turn left and the easy way leads us straight to the women's Chrysoleontissa Monastery. A small left detour brings us to the huge monument of 20 meters in diameter, which testifies to the old rural glamor of the area and offers a magnificent view of the northern Saronikos, Paliachora and Agios Nektarios Monastery.
The course as a whole is the hiking route 4 of the network of Cultural Paths.
The course is well marked, while at the beginning and at crucial points of the route there are signs of information and direction.