Koules of Loutro
Koules called a small or bigger fort, built by the Turks due to the frequent revolutions of the Cretan people. Koules of Loutro is located on a hill above the port of Loutro, in the province of Sfakia. It is a 19th century Turkish fort with remarkable architecture and is one of the few Cretan fortresses built by the Turks that has been designated as a protected monument.
It was built (or rebuilt) in 1868 and is likely to have been the central fort of the area. Apart from the Koules of Loutro, several other forts were built in the wider area, such as the fort (koules) of Anopolis, Stavros, Agia Aikaterini and the fort of Kastella at the entrance of the port. After the liberation of Crete, the fort was used as a school until the middle of the 20th century.
It is of a rectangular shape with basic dimensions: 22m.x 25m and it has two elevated tower positions to the east and to the west and enough space for the guard. Some of its walls still survive. Externally, there was a cistern, covered the water supply needs of the fort, while remnants of a windmill are still visible at a short distance.