This lighthouse was built in 1874 by the French Lighthouse Company. The height of the white lantern house is 3.7 meters and its focal height is 96 meters. At the northwestern tip of Crete there are two scattered and uninhabited islands. Gramvousa and Agria Gramvousa, known as the islands of the pirates. Characteristic of both islands are the rocky and steep shores. Agia Gramvousa was fortified by the Venetians and acquired an impregnable for that time fortress. After the occupation of Crete by the Turks, the island became a refuge for the persecuted.