Μετάφραση Greek Version

Archaeological Museum of Paros

The Archaeological Museum of Paros is located in Paroikia. Here you can admire the marble idol of 'fat lady', a symbol of fertility, objects from burial offerings and various kinds of vessels. The statue of Niki (Victory) that dates back to the 5th century BC is the most significant exhibit of the museum. Other statues worth seeing are Gorgon (mythological monster), the goddess Artemis from Delio, the seated statue of a female deity and the lower part of a statue of Athena, all of the 5th century. Notable is the number of Roman vessels while in the atrium of the museum are exposed Hellenistic mosaics that were found under Ekatontapyliani church. The museum also hosts one of the most important monuments of speech, the Parian Chronicle. This marble inscription was engraved in the 13th century AD and comprises 134 verses chronological reports covering a period of 1318 years (from 1528 to 263 BC). The largest part of this inscription found in the 17th century Venetian Castle built in the town from where it was stolen by looters and sold to an English earl, who transferred it to Oxford and now kept in the museum.