Chios Town Cathedral
The Chios Town Cathedral (Metropolitan Church of Chios, Sts Victors) stands magnificently in the capital centre next to the Koares Library. It is dedicated to memory of the three martyrs Minas, Victor and Vincent and is celebrated on 11 November, which coincides with the Chios’ day of liberation from the Ottoman occupation (11 November 1912). In the place of the Holy Metropolis there was once an older church that was built in memory of St Victor by the Genoese, as soon as they occupied Chios. In Latin script the church is referred to as: "TEMPLUM S. VICTORES IN APLOTARIA". It is because of this Latin inscription that the people continue to refer to the three saints as “St. Victors”. The Genoese church was burnt down by the Turks during the massacre in 1822. In 1838 a basilica-style church was rebuilt and was declared the Metropolitan Church of Chios after the total destruction that the city and its churches had sustained. It was destroyed once again during the tremendous earthquake in 1881 that levelled the island, only to be rebuilt in byzantine style in 1888. Within the church one will notice the Russian-style chest on the Holy Table, as well as other valuable utensils and objects. The shrine of the martyr of Chios, St. Isidoros (251 AC) that was returned to Chios from Venice in 1967 is of significant importance. Moreover, the prelatic adornment of St Nectarios, Metropolitan of Pentapolis, who entered into monkhood at Nea Moni is also on display. Another item that stands out is the Mitre of Dorotheos Proios, Metropolitan of Adrianoupolis and Chian national martyr, who was hung in Constantinople in 1821 together with the Holy Martyr Patriarch Grigorio V. The impressively designed pebbled yards (liladoto) (early Christian representations, scenes from paradise, geometrical patters, etc) made with a traditional, local style, can be found in many manors on the island indicating the good spirit and devotion of the craftsmen of that era.