Μετάφραση Greek Version

Monastery of Agios Ioannis Parthenis

This is a little further from the Monastery of ôKounistraö, north of the foothills of mountain Kounistres.

It is post-Byzantine and it was founded in the 17th century by Skiathan Parthenios.

The main church is a single-aisle Basilica with a ridge roof, and it was renovated in 1714.

It has remarkable icons, with the image of Christ prominent on the temple. This is where the first school operated on Skiathos during Turkocracy.

The building where the students lived, the so-called 'daskaleio' is today in ruins.

In 1865 the Skiathan scholar Alexandros Moraitidis renovated one part of the cells.