In Episkopi, two kilometers south of the town of Skopelos, was the seat of the Bishop of the island from the Early Christian up to the newer years.
The Episkopi complex in its present form is a Venetian building. At its center there is a small one-storied church of the 16th-17th century, built in ruins of a large three-aisled middle-Byzantine basilica. This basilica, according to a marble inscription, was constructed, rather in the older place, by the bishop of Anastasios and was inaugurated in 1078.
Today's church is surrounded by an impressive stone-built enclosure, which on the eastern side incorporated a wall of a large and imposing fortress building. This wall is probably the façade of the episcopal mansion, which was built during the Venetian period and unknown for what reasons, remained incomplete. On the wall, two rows of windows and several lofts are opened, while in the center of the upper floor there are the stone furrows (columns) of a balcony, a carved balcony.
In the area of Episkopi excavations were made by Professor Xyngopoulos and many ancient finds were found, which are exposed in the courtyard of the Church.