The Five Aisled Basilica of Paleopolis of Corfu
The five aisled Basilica of Paleopolis was built in the 5th century A.D. by the bishop Jovian on the ruins of a Roman conservatory. Two fluted Corinthian columns still stand at the entrance. In the 6th century A.D. it was destroyed by the Goths, in the 11th A.D. by the Normans and in 1537 by the Turks. It was rebuilt in the 11th century as a three aisled church with narthex and in 1680 by the Cretan monk Arsenios Kaloudis. All pieces of early Christian architectural elements, parapets, small columns, capitals etc. were collected and stored at the Palace Museum in 1968. In 1960 and 1969 all mosaics were maintained. Archaic burial enclosures in a Π form, placed on the left side of the road passing in front of the monument of Menekratis. Several other funerary monuments of the Ancient Necropolis are on the road that once led to one of the gates of the ancient city.