Cistern of the Holy Apostles of Paxos
The reservoir was built in 1825 and was completed in 1846, a date that is mentioned on the sidewalk of the top surface runoff. The decorative features as pillars were built later, in 1848, and the way to access the landscape was completed in 1851 according to the Book of Elders of Paxos. Unquestionably the most elaborate and impressive tank in Paxos, an elegant building featuring quality British projects in the region. This monumental building is a protected building of the Ministry of Culture since 1982. Located almost in the center of the town it contrasts with the Saints Anargyri which are in the east side. It is rectangular and it has a monumental central staircase on the south side. The rectangular structure incorporates not only the main tank, but also a kind of elongated settling tank in the north side. Despite the difficulties in recording its dimensions it seems that this auxiliary tank is almost 1/3 the size of the main tank. The reservoir collects water not only from the paved runoff area at the top but also from the areas without enclosure around it. It is therefore absolutely necessary the shaped configuration which boosts precipitation. Three openings in the wall, separating the two reservoirs, lead the flooded water from the auxiliary settling tank to the main tank.