Monastery of the Assumption of Mary
This monastery is located north of Chora, 10km away from the settlement. It’s a square compound of two-storey cells that has a view to Lesvos from the right side and to the historical Melanios in Chios.
There isn’t an exact date of erection, however it is estimated that it has been built in around 1780, in a plateau behind the mountain of Prophet Elias in order to stand over the surrounding area. When Turks tried to pillage the church, the monks threw beehives at them.
The church is surrounded by the rest of the compound and is complex four-column cruciform with a dome. Chandeliers with old Venetian crystals and icons of great importance decorate the church. An icon of the Assumption of Mary, a work of Dominikos Theotokopoulos, was housed in the church, but people of Psara transferred it to Syros in order to be safe from the war.
Today it is housed in the church of the Assumption of Mary in Syros. The arches with the arched openings in the church’s exterior are a sign of Athos influence, while the decoration with the elaborate reliefs, like a two-headed eagle, is also adorning the walls.
The transfer of the marble pillars and the elaborate processing were made laboriously by the people of Psara. The library collection includes religious books printed in Moscow and Venice, as well as rare manuscripts.
The churches of St. Efthimios in the settlement, of Zoodochos Pigi, of the Holy Trinity in Xerokabos and of Virgin Mary Vatousaina in Vatos, all of them built before the Revolution, are dependencies of the church of the Assumption of Mary.