Kafsokalyvia Skete (Holy Trinity)
The Skete of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity) is located at the southern edge of the Athonian peninsula, 100 meters above sea level. It is also known as Kafsokalyvia, a name that derived from Saint Maximus the Kafsokalyvi, a 14th century hermit who lived in the same area and used to build improvised shacks. There are 35 cells for the monks who are mainly engaged in iconography, woodcarving, gardening and fishing. The skete’s main church (Kiriakon) is dedicated to the Holy Trinity. It was built in 1745 and adorned with frescoes at the end of the 18th century. The skete houses a remarkable library with 23 codes (manuscript books), hundreds of prints, icons, vestments and relics. The skete is a dependency of the Holy Monastery of Megisti Lavra. Elder Porphyrios (Bairaktaris), who was noted for his spiritual discernment, served for many years at the skete, living in the Cell of St. George, before his repose in 1991. A regular ferry service connects the port of the skete with Dafni, the main port of Mount Athos.
Photo: Aroche - CC BY-SA 3.0