New Skete or Nea Skiti was founded in 1753 and belongs to the Holy Monastery of Saint Paul (Agios Pavlos). It lies on the southwestern side of the peninsula of Athos between the Monastery of St Paul and the Skete of Saint Anna. The skete is near the sea and consists of 37 cells and huts. Today, over 40 monks live there and follow an idiorhythmic way of monastic life. The monks support themselves by painting religious icons and writing religious books that are available to purchase through the monastery’s website. In some historical documents the skete is referred to as the “Skete of Pyrgos” (Tower) due to an ancient tower that is now part of the complex. Within the vicinity of the skete many graves, coins and other artifacts have been found, so it is believed that the skete was built on the site of what used to be a city in the past. The central church was built in 1760, is dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary and celebrates on the 25th of March (Annunciation of the Virgin). The skete has a remarkable library that is home to 200 ancient manuscripts and 500 old printed books.