Christos Kapralos Museum
In the Plakakia area, 3 km from the port of Aegina to the north on the coastal road, is the museum of Christos Capralos, one of the most important sculptors of the 20th century world-wide, and it is definitely worth visiting.
The Greek sculptor, painter and engraver, Christos Kapralos, one of the greatest representatives of modernism in Greece, was born in 1909 in Panetoliko (near Agrinio). Despite the fact that his family’s wealth did not allow it, he managed to study painting, at the School of Fine Arts in Athens, and sculpture, in Paris, thanks to the support of his sponsors.
In 1991, two years before his death, he founded the Christos and Souli Kapralos Foundation in Aegina, through which the Christos Kapralos Museum opened in 1995, two years after the death of the artist.
The Christos Kapralos Museum in Aegina hosts, in its halls and outdoor space, a significant number of works from all of the artist’s periods from 1963 to 1993, while he was working mainly on the island of Aegina.
Using a variety of materials (wood, bronze, marble, local limestone, plaster, etc.), Christos Kapralos’ work is expressed through paintings, sculptures, engravings, ceramics and terracotta creations. His work is inspired by the everyday life of people, from peace and war, but also from his relationship with his friends and relatives.
He represented Greece at the Venice Bienniale in 1962 and participated in the Sao Paulo Bienniale in 1975. Today his works are exhibited in private collections and museums in Europe and America.
One of the most important works that one can admire in this museum is the replica of the frieze “The Monument of the Pindos Battle”, inspired by the Greek revolution against the Germans, which today adorns one of the halls of the Greek Parliament. Also, the bronze statue ” Mana” (Mother), which is standing opposite to the museum and looking out over the sea, symbolizing the Greek mother awaiting her mariner son.