Monastery of Panagia Chrysopigi
The white-washed monastery is located on a rocky small islet joined with the rest of the island with a small bridge. It was built in 1650 at the edge of the peninsula. According to legends, the icon of the Virgin Mary, dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi, came from the sea and it was found by local fishermen. The small rock was miraculously split in half in order for the women, who used to light up the candles, to be saved from the pirates. Inside the monastery, there are cells which serve as guest houses. It is perhaps the most imposing church and one of the most significant churches of Sifnos. It is an important pilgrimage site, not only for the people of Sifnos but for all Orthodox Greeks.
The miraculous icon of "Panagia Chrissopigi" (Holy Virgin Mary of the Golden Spring), patron saint of Sifnos is kept in the monastery. A big feast takes place in the day of Ascension, 40 days after the Orthodox Easter. The feast of Chrissopigi has a special ritual that involves the image's procession in the villages of the island. That day a large number of pilgrims from Athens, Milos and the other surrounding islands visit Sifnos in order to participate in the worship events that peak during the celebration of the Virgin Mary.
It is a very popular wedding destination and throughout the year many weddings and christenings are performed there.