Town Hall of Syros
The Town Hall of Syros, designed by Ziller, is the most imposing building of the island and one of the major Town Halls in Greece. Founded in 1876 and inaugurated in 1898, it cost the municipality 1,300,000 drachmas, a hefty sum for that time.
The building has three floors on the side that faces the square and, because of the height difference, two storeys on the rear street. The first floor of the Town Hall of Syros, where leads a monumental staircase 15.5 meters wide, is built in the Tuscan style, the second in the Ionic and the towers, which according to the initial plans were to unite on the third floor and on three sides except the front one, are in the Corinthian style. On the marble pediment of the central part of the Town Hall of Syros is the inscription of the building: “Ermou Dimos tad eisato dimarchountos D. Vafiadakis” ie, “the City of Ermou erected (this building) during the term of the mayor D. Vafiadakis”.
The interior of the Town Hall of Syros is dominated by a suspended staircase, 1.95 m. wide, covered with a glass roof, while the building, except for the municipal services of Syros also houses the courts, the land registry, the Archaeological Museum and other public services.