Church of Agios Nikolaos of the Poor
Agios Nikolaos of the Poor in Ano Syros is so named in contrast with Agios Nikolaos of Ermoupoli that is majestic, central and is referred as “the rich”. The church of Agios Nikolaos of the Poor is one of the few Orthodox in Ano Syros, because most of the residents there are Catholics, it is the oldest Orthodox church preserved in Syros. It was built around 1590 and renovated in 1691 when it took the form that it has today. Agios Nikolaos of the Poor is a small church aisle with mansard. The feature of the temple is its high belfry of stone. In recent renovation, there are found on the floor graves with bones. Today, Agios Nikolaos of the Poor is restored and embellished from the beginning. It serves, along with the other Orthodox Church in the area, the Trinity, the spiritual needs of the faithful. During the last century the parish of Agios Nikolaos of the Poor showed significant social work. All of the proceeds were used to enforce the poor from Ermoupoli from Syros Clerical Fund that was founded by Archbishop Methodios of Syros.