Monastery of Agios Frangiskos of Assisi
It is one of the oldest monasteries of the island, probably built in the 13th century and dedicated to the Holy Angel.
Initially, Greek nuns lived, while in May 1367 they gave it to the Order of the Monks of Saint Francesco. In May 1386, the keys of the city were given to the Venetian admiral Giovanni Miani from the community of Corfu.
In the 17th century it was rebuilt and in 1798 the first public school was operating in the monastery. Due to the destruction of the Catholic Metropolis during World War II, the monastery turns into a Cathedral for the Catholics of the island until the Metropolis is rebuilt.
It is a ground floor building with one-aisled rhinestone, basilica with wooden roof. It has influences from Venice with the characteristic of the bell tower that is like a tower.
Today, only the katholikon and the yard are preserved. In addition to the tributes to Saint Francesco, there are tributes to Saint Anthony of Padova, Saint Rocco, Saint Barbara and Theotokos.
There are the relics of Saint Jason and Sosipatro and St. Arsenios. His memory is celebrated on October 4, while on June 13 there is a feast in honor of St. Anthony in which he performs operation.