The now ruined settlement in the shadow of the Knights’ castle was built (or better hidden) on the northern slope of Ai Nikolas so as not to be an easy target for pirate raids. It was the capital of the island from the ancient times to the middle 19th century. The last residents left the area in 1970. The first building you will see coming from the old path is the country church of Agioi Anargyroi surrounded by olive trees. Following, there is the church of Sotiras (it has been declared as listed monument according to 34/15-11-1949) and the old school which is preserved in a better condition. The small monasteries of Agia Triada (Holy Trinity), Agios Konstantinos and the vaulted church of Panagia Choriani, with the enormous cypress (it has been declared as listed monument according to 34/15-11-1949) , are preserved all around Chorio.
These pilgrimages remain irrefutable witnesses of the bloom that the settlement once knew. It is worth observing the isodomic walls that are located in various ruined houses, the scattered oldest architectural parts in the cemetery, the sarcophagi and the Doric capital in Agios Konstantinos. Two thrones carved on the rock with the inscription ‘DIOS EKATIS’ were found a bit further above Chorio.