Fiskardo is a picturesque seaside village located at the northern end of the island of Kefalonia, at the narrowest point of the canal that separates Kefalonia from Ithaca. A former fishing village that has transformed into a tourist resort without losing its quintessence.
Beautiful two-storey houses of the 18th century with tiled roofs, narrow streets and courtyards with flowers combined with the green surrounding area and the deep blue sea compose a wonderful scenery. On the waterfront of the port restaurants, taverns, cafes and souvenir shops housed in renovated Venetian mansions complete the "colorful" scenery. In the port, the traditional fishing boats moor alongside some of the most luxurious yachts, many of these owned by the rich and famous who are attracted by the tranquillity of Fiscardo. It is worth visiting the lighthouse at the cape of Fiskardo and the ruins of the early Christian basilica of the 6th century in "Chtouria".
Fiskardo has been identified with the ancient town Panormos, mentioned by the 5th-century BC Greek historian Herodotus. During the time of Frankish (Norman) dominion in Greece, the village was renamed Fiskardo after Robertus Wiscardus (Robert Guiscard), Duke of Apulia and Calabria and founder of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies who died at the Atheras beach in 1085. He besieged the area and finally conquered it in 1085.
The village retains its architectural character as it is one of the few villages that did not suffer significant damage from the earthquake of 1953. It has been designated a traditional settlement. It is also the birth place of the Greek writer and poet Nikos Kavvadias. The house where he spent his childhood is still preserved.
Fiskardo is a popular tourist destination mainly for English tourists. From its port there are car and passenger ferries that run daily during the summer, between Fiscardo and Lefkas. If you wish to take a ferry to Ithaca, you will need to drive to Sami, as there is not currently a direct ferry connection between Fiscardo and Ithaca.