Monastery of Timios Prodromos
The Monastery of Timios Prodromos (Saint John the Baptist) was founded in 1612 by the hieromonk and first abbot, Simeon. During its long history, it sometimes functioned as a male and sometimes as a female monastery. Since 1920 it has been converted into a nunnery.
It is situated on the slopes of mount Palouki, 300 meters away from the monastery of Agia Varvara, close to Chora, Skopelos' capital town. According to an inscription placed at its entrance, the monastery was fully renovated in 1721 by the abbot, Filaretos. The temple belongs to the cruciform inscribed four-column type. It has a wood-carved, gold-plated iconostasis adorned with depictions of flora and fauna and 15 icons. The iconostasis consists of two pieces, one of the 14th and the other of the 18th century. Impressive frescoes from the 14th century decorate the walls. The icons date from the 16th, 17th and 18th century AD. and are of significant value.
The monastery celebrates on June 24, day on which the Orthodox Church celebrates the birth of Saint John the Baptist. It is worth attending the Vespers on the eve of the celebration.