Μετάφραση

Bridge of Viniani

The stone bridge was the only safe passage over Megdovas river, connecting Karpenisi with Agrafa and Valtos in Western Evritania, until the construction of the metal bridge in Parkio. It is located between the villages of Palia Viniani and Nea Viniani. There are no reports on the exact construction date but it is likely that it was built in the second half of the 17th century. It was made by skilled craftsmen from Epirus with stones from the area and impresses with its architecture and its incomparable beauty. The bridge is part of the European path E4.

Many battles have taken place near the historic bridge during the Turkish occupation and afterwards. In 1808, Katsantonis' brother from Lepeni tried to set free the latter, who had been arrested by Agos Mouchourtaris and was transported seriously ill and chained to Karpenisi. His attempt to free him, however, was not successful. There are several myths about the bridge mentioning voices and songs from fairies. Other legends say, that when the river rushed down its waters and there was danger for the passer-by, then wild bull growls could be heard (Megdovas is also called Taurus), while at the same time flocks of bees appeared if it was day or bats if it was night, not letting anybody pass by the bridge.